The advent of the 3D pen has brought about several art and design creations that would previously have not been possible. The use of the 3D pen gives an edge and promotes innovation and creation amongst artists and designers. People often look at people who are well adept at using these pens as magicians or something close. However, the truth is mastering the art of using the 3D pen is not a very difficult skill to achieve. This post will provide a comprehensive and carefully researched guide that will teach you how to use a 3D pen. Everything from how it works, to how to select the best one, to maintaining it, will be explicitly discussed. After reading this, you will have more than enough insight about using 3D pens.
What Is a 3D Pen?
A 3D pen is simply a drawing tool which is handheld and works just like a pencil or a pen. However, unlike a normal pen or pencil that uses ink or lead, a 3D pen uses plastic filaments. A 3D pen is not controlled by any computer or software, and is based solely on the users hand controls. 3D pens can be used for several things, and are mostly used by artists and designers.
How Does a 3D Pen Work?
A 3D pen works on the same kind of heating element and extruder as on regular computer 3D printers. However, instead of being controlled by a computer or software, it is directed by the user.
It works by heating a plastic filament, which acts as its ink or lead, to its melting point, before forcing it through an extruder tip. The melted plastic becomes very soft and can easily be made into any shape desired by the user. Once you have made the shape you want with the plastic, it cools down and hardens into the shape you made.
3D pens also have different adjustable speed settings, depending on your needs. The speed regulators determine how slow or fast the plastic filaments come out from the tip of the pen.
How To Use a 3D Pen
Using a 3D pen depends on what you want to make with it. There are different settings and properties of the pen that need to be tweaked, all in a bid to achieve your needs. The major things to consider are color of the pen, speed of the pen and making desired shapes. Below are the basic steps on how to use a 3D pen:
1. Plug in your 3D drawing pen, allowing it to heat up
2. Insert your Plastic filament (ABS or PLA) into the back of the pen
3. Use the speed regulators to control the speed of the plastic flow through the pen extruder tip
4. You can now begin drawing with the pen
5. To switch colors, push both buttons on the pen, and the plastic ejects out of the back of the pen, leaving room for you to slip in your preferred color.
These are the basic steps involved in using a 3D pen. Making shapes is intuitive, and there is no limit to what you can design with a 3D pen.
In What Ways Can You Use a 3D Pen?
There are several ways in which 3D pens can be used. These pens can be used for repair and decorative reasons. They are perfect for artists and designers. Some of the things that can be made with 3D pens include –
- Ornaments and jewelry
- Decorative art
- Personalized art for laptops, phones, and other devices
- Basic 3D models
There are several other ways and uses that 3D pens can satisfy. All you need to do is to be creative, and you will be able to envision anything.
Video Source: Mr Useful
How To Select The 3D Printing Pen
There are several things to look out for when looking to select the 3D Pen for your use. Several best 3D pen models have come to the market, so deciding on the best one for you is essential. Some of the things to look out for are:
1. Speed: The speed of ejection of the filament is an essential attribute of 3D pens, so you should definitely consider this when looking to make a purchase. Speed is often the distinguishing factor between different designs, so getting a pen that can switch effectively between speeds is a plus to your design skills.
2. Reliability: Reliability of 3D pens is an essential part of using a 3D pen. You do not want a pen that will give up on you when you need it the most.
3. Ergonomics: When using a 3D printing pen, the last thing you want to be is uncomfortable. This is why the ergonomic characteristic of a 3D pen is essential when looking for a pen to use. You want a pen that will sit comfortably in your hands, helping you make the best designs.
See Also: Best 3D Printing Pen 2018 – Buyer’s Guide and Reviews
Loading a 3D Pen
Loading a 3D pen with filament is another essential part of using the pen. Filaments are loaded from the back of the pen. All you have to do is simply press the unloading buttons on the 3D printing pen, and take out the filament you want to remove. You can thereafter slide in the new filament for your use.
Maintaining a 3D Pen
Maintenance is a key process for any device or gadget. There are several maintenance tips for 3D pens. Some of them are listed below:
1. Do not take out a filament forcefully
2. Always change the pen nozzle when the pen is hot
3. Make sure there is no plastic filament inside the pen when you are covering with its maintenance cover.
4. The 3D pen is an electric device, so make sure to follow all standard electrical procedures
3D Pens have greatly redefined the art and design industry, so knowing how to use them is essential as a professional or hobbyist. This guide has provided you with an extensive and insightful guide into the use of a 3D pen. You need not look at people using a 3D pen as magicians. With this guide, you can also have a solid foundational knowledge of the use of 3D pens. So jump on the 3D pen train, as you definitely do not want to be left out of this wonderful innovation.