Anyone who drives a motor vehicle is required to have some sort of auto insurance coverage; the trick is finding the right coverage without breaking your budget. This review was designed to help you find the insurance company that offers the best policies, price and customer service for your needs.
Geico is the top car insurance company that we reviewed – their premiums are below the national average, have high customer satisfaction ratings, offer many policy discounts and a really great mobile app.
Track a claim, schedule appointments and answer policy questions with mobile app
- 15 different insurance discounts available including military, good driving and bundling your insurance
- Use a Geico-approved repair company for paperwork-free repairs
Auto insurance premiums vary based on individual circumstances and driving records, but we found that Geico had some of the lowest rates. Because insurance rates vary so much based on your individual situation, we recommend you check out at least three of our top car insurance agencies and compare the rates yourself.
You can access your policy through Geico’s member portal. In the portal, you can make payments, change your coverage and order proof of insurance cards. You can report a claim at any time of the day or night through the online form or via the mobile app; you can also report a claim over the phone.
It’s easy to track your claim’s progress, view damage reports, schedule vehicle repairs, sign forms and communicate with the claims team.
The mobile app is excellent, easy to use and even offers a voice-activated virtual assistant named Lily who can help schedule appointments, look up claim information and answer questions about your policy.
Ranked #2 Nationwide
Nationwide offers low car insurance rates, above average customer satisfaction and several unique programs that will save you money. You can also watch your vehicle repairs online, which is pretty cool.
- File claims and manage your account via mobile app or contacting an agent
- 9 different discounts available including going paperless, being a good student and installing an anti-theft device in your vehicle
- Vanishing deductible discount for accident-free years
- Choose your own repair service
- Insurance types: Auto, Motorcycle, Life, Small Business, Homeowners, Renters, Condo and more
One unique program Nationwide offers is its vanishing deductible program – every year you are accident-free, your deductible will automatically decrease by $100 (maximum $500 discount). That means if you start your policy with a $500 deductible and don’t have any accidents for five years, then the following year you won’t have a deductible.
Nationwide also offers several discounts like having multiple policies, being a student and being a safe driver.
To qualify as a safe driver you’ll need to participate in their SmartRide program. To participate, you’ll install a device in your car that tracks your mileage, driving habits and night driving time. The program isn’t available everywhere, so be sure to ask if it’s available in your area.
Nationwide has local agents and around-the-clock online customer support.
Ranked #3 AAA
AAA has fabulous customer service and offers roadside assistance, but it is more expensive than other insurance companies. If you’re looking for basic auto insurance coverage and want the benefits of AAA membership, then this is a good car insurance company to consider.
- High customer satisfaction rating
- Roadside assistance, trip planning, and discounts and high-quality car insurance
- 95 branches across the country
While AAA service is limited to specific areas and coverage varies by those areas, it is known for its customer service and has one of the highest customer satisfaction ratings.
The mobile app is designed to request roadside assistance and find approved hotels and restaurants. You can file claims and manage your account online, or call an agent and take care of thing over the phone.
If you have an accident, you can use the online locator to find an AAA approved repair facility. You can also use your own mechanic and then be reimbursed by AAA.
Ranked #4 Travelers
Travelers auto insurance has low rates and offers extra discounts for low driving miles and new cars. You can manage your account and claims via their mobile app, online or over the phone.
- Insurance rates are typically below the national average
- Multiple discounts available including multi-policy, multi-car and new car
- Insurance types: Auto, Home, Renters, Condo, Umbrella, Valuable Items and Boat
- Manage account and file claims online or over the phone
Travelers insurance offers many of the typical insurance discounts and also offers a new car discount. While most insurance agencies charge more for insurance on new cars, Travelers offers a 10-percent discount for cars that are less than three years old.
Travelers also has an IntelliDrive discount. To get this discount, you’ll install a device that monitors your mileage. If your driving miles are under 13,000 per year, you get a discount when you renew your policy. You’ll also receive a discount just for registering for the program.
Travelers offers multiple ConciergeCLAIM centers where you can take your vehicle to be inspected if you have an accident. You can also ask questions and get rental cars at these centers. You are not required to use Travelers-certified facilities for repairs.
Ranked #5 State Farm
State Farm is a well-known car insurance agency that has great customer service and pretty good rates. Their coverage is pretty standard and has many of the common insurance discounts available. They also have a unique policy that covers antique and collectible cars.
- High customer satisfaction rating
- Insurance Types: Auto, Home, Renters, Condo, Motorcycle and Life
- 11 discounts available, including good driver, good student, anti-theft and carrying multiple lines
- Get quotes, check claims, manage the account and contact your agent through the mobile app
You’ll need to provide your social security or driver’s license number to really get an accurate quote – they pull your driving record to give you the best quote possible.
State Farm offers a Drive Safe and Save monitoring program. To participate, you install a device in your vehicle that records your driving habits and mileage and your insurance is adjusted each renewal period.
Choosing a Car Insurance Provider
Most states require every motor vehicle owner – automobile or motorcycle – to carry some form of auto insurance. Most car insurance companies will charge you a monthly fee to pay for the level of coverage you’ve agreed on. The coverage you’ll receive is based on the price and the plan you choose and will help you in the event of a breakdown or an accident. Car insurance isn’t just a legal requirement … it’s a smart investment to keep you covered when the unexpected happens.
Every year, thousands of people in the United States are killed in auto-related accidents. Car accidents are actually one of the leading causes of death in the U.S. and they cost tax payers and billions of dollars each year – paying for road repairs, emergency personnel, and medical expenses. That’s why car insurance is required and not just a nice thing to have.
We understand that you’ve got more to do than sit and research insurance services. That’s why we’ve reviewed the best car insurance providers for you. We’ve compared each auto insurance company’s coverage, claims, discounts available and ways for you to get quotes and have all the information you’ll need on one page. The best time to get auto insurance (or to switch providers) is now.
Consider the following to help you compare car insurance companies and get your free auto insurance quote today:
- Flexible Policies. You shouldn’t have to pay for insurance features that you don’t want and aren’t going to use. While gap insurance and mechanical breakdown coverage might be nice, it’s not something that everyone needs. So, compare the coverage options and remember that the best auto insurance providers let you customize your plan.
- Available Discounts. All insurance companies offer discounts for their customers, but the top car insurance companies offer a wide range of discounts. From getting good grades in school, not having any auto accidents and even being active military, you can find an affordable car insurance policy with these discounts.
- Filing a Claim. You’re paying good money for car insurance, so you should be able to file a claim any time of the day or night. The best insurance providers allow you to file claims over the phone, with your local agent, online and even on your mobile devices. Make sure you know how you can file claims before you select a cheap car insurance company.
Saving Money with Car Insurance Quotes
If you’re looking for low cost auto insurance, here are a few things you can do to save money.
- Don’t Drive A Lot. A lot of car insurance companies will offer a special discount to people who agree to keep their mileage within a pre-determined limit. So, if you live close to work, carpool or just don’t drive much, check and see if you qualify for a low-mileage discount.
- Reduce Coverage on Older Cars/Trucks. If you’re driving a clunker that’s not worth much, think about switching to liability coverage. With liability insurance, your insurance will cover damage to another vehicle, but not your vehicle. A lot of these policies still offer free towing and emergency roadside services.
- Be A Good, Safe Driver. If you keep your driving record free from any accidents and traffic violations for at least three years, you can qualify for good driver discounts. This is actually one of the best discounts most insurance companies offer, so you can save a lot of money simply by driving safe.
- Go Paperless. A lot of car insurance companies offer discounts to customers who manage their policy online and set up automatic payments each month. So, skip the check in the mail and set up a simple bill pay with your insurance agent and start saving money. You can also get discounts for paying your full bill every six months, instead of breaking it up to monthly installments.
- Take A Higher Deductible. The higher your deductible, the more you’ll save on your insurance premiums. So, consider raising your deductible from $250 to $500 or even $1,000 and you’ll drop your monthly bill dramatically. Just make sure you set aside that amount of money so you’ll have it in case of an emergency.
Now is the time to start saving on car insurance. Take a look at our car insurance reviews and then fill out the form to get your free car insurance quote today!